We are always interested in your feedback, write or call us today!
- How do I avoid scams on Rent Spot?
- How do I search for rental listings?
- Why doesn't Rent Spot.com have any rental listings in the area I am interested in?
- How do I contact the owner once I am interested in a rental listing?
- How do I add listings to my favorites list?
- How do I unsubscribe from receiving emails?
- How do I list with Rent Spot.com?
- How do I get my password again, I forgot it?
- How do I sign into my account on Rent Spot.com?
- How do I sign off from my account on Rent Spot.com?
How do I avoid scams on Rent Spot?
While most individuals who use Rent Spot have success with renting, from time to time we do receive reports of people attempting to scam our users. It's very important to use common sense online, here are some tips while using Rent Spot:
- Deal with people locally that you can meet - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on Rent Spot.
- Never, ever wire funds via Western Union, Moneygrams, etc... or any other wire service - it's a scam.
- Fake cashier checks and money orders are common and banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- Rent Spot is not involved in any rental transactions and does not handle leases, guarantee rental transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
- Never give out highly sensitive financial information (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- Use common sense, if it is too good to be true, it probably is
Taking these simple precautions helps make Rent Spot safer for everyone. If you think you have been scammed file a police report with your local authorities and contact us.
Recognizing popular scams
1. Someone claims that Rent Spot will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that Rent Spot will handle or provide protection for a payment:
- These claims are fraudulent, as Rent Spot does not have any role in any transaction.
- Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from Rent Spot, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. Distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check:
- you receive an email offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
- cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for your services.
- value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
- banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
- scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:
- Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
- Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
- Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
- Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc
4. Distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:
- this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
- sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
- scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
- deal often seems too good to be true
5. Distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service:
- most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
- for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"
How do I search for rental listings?
To start a new search, start from Rent Spot.com's home page or the rental listings main page. Select the search criteria that most applies to your search needs, each selection will generate search results that most apply to your preferences. Or use the map function on the homepage supported by Google.
Why doesn't Rent Spot.com have any rental listings in the area I am interested in?
During our BETA launch, Rent Spot.com is focusing on the Calgary + area market, then expanding across Canada. We apologize if we do not listings in your area, please check back with us in the future as we are adding new markets all the time across Canada.
How do I contact the owner once I am interested in a rental listing?
- Call the owner once you are interested in the property.
- Email the individual directly from Rent Spot.com by clicking 'contact now' on the property's detail page.
- Email the individual later, at your convenience.
Be sure to provide your contact information so the property manager can call you back ASAP.
How do I add listings to my favorites list?
On all rental listings pages on Rent Spot there is an add to favorites lists in the top right corner of the page. You can add listings using this functionality.
How do I unsubscribe from receiving emails?
To unsubscribe, simply go to the email from Rent Spot.com in your inbox and click unsubscribe.
How do I list with Rent Spot.com?
To list with Rent Spot.com, simply go to list a property to create an account. This will take you approximately 1 minute and your property will be approved within 24 hours. From there, you can add all your amenities and add units to your property if it is a multi-unit apartment.
How do I get my password again, I forgot it?
If you have forgotten your password, simply go to forgot password on the login screen and click 'forgot password' and we will email your password to you immediately.
How do I sign into my account on Rent Spot.com?
To sign into your Rent Spot.com account, simply click 'Sign In' on the Rent Spot.com home page. You'll be asked to submit your email address and your Rent Spot.com password and then you'll arrive at your personalized Rent Spot.com home page where you can manage your listings and personal information.
How do I sign off from my account on Rent Spot.com?
To sign off on Rent Spot.com, simply click 'Sign Off' on the top right hand side of the page. It is recommended to do this to protect your privacy after each session.
How do I add a unit to my property listing?
You must have a multi-unit listing in order to add units to your property listings.
Still need help?
If you still require assistance, please contact us and one of our customer service agents will gladly assist you.
List a Property!
Benefits of advertising on Rent Spot
- Fastest growing rental website
- Reach 1000s of renters daily
- Create a property ad in minutes
- Full property description
- Unlimited photos
- Link to your website
- Real-time stats
- Access ads 24/7
- Landlords get results
Fort McMurray |
Grande Prairie | Guelph | Halifax | Hamilton | Hull | Kamloops | Kelowna | Kitchener | Lake Louise | Laval | Lethbridge | London | Mississauga | Montreal | Moose Jaw | Oakville
Ottawa | Prince Edward County | Red Deer | Regina | Richmond | Saskatoon | St. John's | Surrey | Toronto | Vancouver | Victoria | Waterloo | Windsor | Winnipeg
Medicine Hat |
Quebec City | Saguenay | Saint John | Sherbrooke | St.Catharines | Sudbury | Sydney | Thunderbay | Trenton | Trois-Rivieres | Vaughan | Whitby | Whitehorse | Yellowknife